These instructions are to install ATOM on a Mac OS and configure to open files remotely from Gemini through a remote server connection.
**PLEASE SUBSTITUTE YOUR ACTUAL USERNAME WHENEVER THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY USERNAME**
Map a network drive on Mac:
- From the Mac OS X Finder, hit Command+K to bring up the ‘Connect to Server’ window
- Enter the path to the network drive you want to map, ie: smb://gemini.cs.hamilton.edu/username
–> Select the + button to save the Server Address to your list of “Favorite Servers“.
–> Click CONNECT
- Enter your login/password and click “OK” to mount the network drive
- The drive will now appear on your desktop and in the Finder window sidebar.
To connect the drive on startup:
- Perform the steps to map a drive as listed above in the “Map a network drive on Mac” section.
- Open “System Preferences” from the Dock.
- Choose “Users & Groups“.
- Select the “Login Items” option.
Ensure the lock in the bottom-left corner is unlocked. Select it to change it if needed.
- Click on your account on the left of the window
Then click on LOGIN ITEMS on the center top of the page.
- Drag the mapped drive from the Finder windows to the “Users & Groups” section in the center of the window.
- Check the “Hide” box next to your mapped volume, otherwise a window will open automatically.
- Save the install package from here.
- Open the install package (.zip) and drag the ATOM bundle into the Applications folder.
Edit file off Gemini:
- In ATOM open a file to edit:
FILE – OPEN
- In the Finder window, select the remote drive you mapped earlier. It should be listed under SHARED
- Browse to the file you want and select OPEN.